Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Failure



A year and a half ago was the first time I experienced failure. I ran for the class of 2018 class president for sophomore year. Freshman year I was the class Vice-President. However, I was determined to become the class president for the 2015-2016 school year. I truly believed that I was qualified for this position, and I was fairly confident that I would win. I spent a tremendous amount of time writing and practicing my speech, along with campaigning for my presidency. After weeks of waiting, election day finally came.
I had read my speech to my entire class, explaining why I wanted to become class president, and listing everything I would do for the class of 2018 if I was elected. Everyone then voted for who they wanted as their class officers. After reading my speech and listening to my opponents speech, I was convinced that I would win.
I was sitting in English class when the class officers for the 2015-2016 school year were announced for the entire school to hear. I was anxiously waiting for my name to be read, but it never was.
I had lost the election. I was shocked.
I was disappointed in myself. I was angry with my classmates. I was jealous of my classmate who won. I was embarrassed. I took my loss personally and thought that my classmates didn't like me. I had a pit in my stomach. My friends and family tried to comfort me, but I just wanted to go home and be by myself. I had failed at becoming class president.
Even today, a year and a half later, I still think about how I lost the sophomore class presidential election. While it continues to make me upset, I have tried to move on from it. Although I did not become class president, I have taken on other leadership roles in the school and community.
Losing the class election taught me that I will not be successful in everything I do. However, it is extremely important to keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment