Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The 11 Year Old Seamstress

When most of us think of sewing, we rarely picture an 11 year old taking a sewing class.
One of my friends came into school one day with a late-birthday gift for me, a small change-purse. When she told me that she personally made the gift in the sewing class she takes, I was shocked. I was so impressed that my friend had the ability to make something, even as small and simple as a change purse. After a long discussion about her sewing class and the other things she had sewed in the past, I was amazed. I got the urge to want to start taking sewing lessons myself.
As a young girl, I always participated on sports teams and took dozens of art and painting lessons in my free time. I never had time in my busy schedule to start a new activity. However, after talking with my friend, I decided that I want to stop taking painting classes and begin taking sewing classes. The idea that I could hand-make my own clothing, stuffed animals, pillows, and gifts for friends and family stunned me. Sewing was such a unique and rare after school activity, especially for an 11 year old. But, I could not wait for my first sewing class.
After years of sewing lessons, I knew how to make dresses, pajama bottoms, stuffed animal dogs, bags, computer cases, raincoats, pillows, quilts, the list goes on. In fact, for my Bat Mitzvah, I sewed 36 pairs of pajama pants which I donated to the sick children at the Boston Children’s Hospital. I made countless birthday and holiday gifts for friends and family. I made myself a wardrobe of clothes including a raincoat, pants, shirts, and dresses. I had sewed so many pillows and stuffed animals that I did not know what to do with them.
What I loved the most about sewing was how peaceful and satisfying it can be. Sewing is one of the few things that has truly made me proud of myself. The feeling of finishing a project that has taken you weeks, even months is priceless. Never in my life have I been so passionate about an activity than I was with sewing. Sewing was my favorite hobby. My obsession for sewing even led me to force my parents to buy me my very own sewing machine for my 13th birthday.
Unfortunately, I was forced to stop taking sewing classes my Freshman year due to my intensive field hockey schedule and tremendous amount of school work. However, I do plan on picking up sewing again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment